CAPER: Child and Parent Enjoying Reading
This programme is 3 years in its in operation and it has been a great success to date. It is a 6 week programme which facilitates reading supported by Parents.
Aims of ‘C.A.P.E.R.’ Programme
- To promote the reading levels of children in school through appropriate book provision
- To increase awareness of the essential parental contribution to children’s early reading development
- To develop positive parental attitudes towards school and to strengthen links between home and school
- To foster positive attitudes towards reading
- To extend parents’ and teachers’ knowledge of good children’s literature
C.A.P.E.R. involves parents reading along with their children to promote reading as a part of children’s everyday habits.
The school Coordinator for CAPER in A Downing: Assistant Principal.
- In September Mrs Downing sets out the years plan for CAPER timetabling in the various class levels and dates they will receive CAPER
- We look for volunteer Parents to come in 3 morning a week for a block of 6 weeks at a given level, 9am- 9.15 am to participate in CAPER at a given class level
- 4/5 Parents each take a group of children in a class listening to their reading and discussing the previous night’s book
- If you cannot commit to 3 days a week and can do 1 or 2 days a week this would also be appreciated.
- All parent volunteers must be Garda vetted. This will be organised for you through the office.
- We especially encourage Parents of the class level for that given period to support the CAPER programme
Benefits of CAPER:
- Since its introduction, anecdotal evidence from parents and teachers has suggested that levels of reading among the children have greatly improved
- Other benefits have included a greater level of interest and involvement of the parents in encouraging their children’s reading. This has been a source of motivation to the children.
- Many parents have commented that the strategies they use in C.A.P.E.R. have given them confidence in helping their children with reading. This has strengthened links between school and home as C.A.P.E.R.
- Other benefits include exposure of children to a wide variety of reading genres in a structured way. Children really enjoy their C.A.P.E.R. books and because the books are pitched at the children’s individual level, each child experiences success and therefore wants to read more.
If you are interested in supporting the school by your participation in the programme please contact Mrs Downing on firstname.lastname@example.org
- We Love CAPER! - A big 'THANK YOU' to everyone who volunteers with CAPER! CAPER is our Children and Parents Enjoying Reading initiative - it has been a huge success and can't work without our volunteers. Please email us if you would like to get involved so we can continue to offer CAPER to our students! https://youtu.be/IBZ7O6fCC5U Continue Reading