As a whole school we are always looking at the work we do and aim to make small changes which will lead to better teaching, learning and outcomes for pupils. This year 2018/19 we have decided to focus on Science and getting our students to think scientifically though exploration and discovery. The whole focus comes under the term STEAM which is Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Maths. We’ll be aiming to incorporate all these things in scientific activities!
Some of the things happening so far…
- Surveys sent to parents and to teachers for their input.
- Donation of €1000 from a parent in the school on behalf of ON Semiconductor
- Staff Training from Discover Primary Science and Maths (check out their website at www.sfi.ie)
- ‘Designer Minds’ have set up an after school club in the school… keep an eye out if you’re interested!
- Rang III and IV had a visit from a scientist and brought petri dishes home full to watch bacteria grow!
- Parents’ Council will be offering this year’s fundraising proceeds to improve our Scientific resources in the classroom
- VEX Robotics Club has started! They will be building a robot, programming it and getting it to perform tasks on an obstacle course… against other schools!
Keep an eye on this page for updates and please get in touch if you have an idea that you can share with us!
- Summer Newsletter 2023! - Please find attached our Summer Newsletter for 2023! It has been a very busy term at Bunscoil Rinn An Chabhlaigh with lots of fun learning activities going on around our school. We want to wish all in our wider school community an enjoyable summer and we look forward to welcoming you all back to school… Continue Reading
- BSRAC’s Easter Newsletter! - We are delighted to launch our Easter Newsletter for 2023 here at Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh! This term, we once again placed a focus on student ownership over our newsletter as the children wrote about some of their favourite moments from the past couple of weeks! We would like to thank all of our pupils,… Continue Reading
- Maths: Problem Solving Posters and Winners (February) - Maths: Problem Solving This month marked the most entries ever received for our Maths: Problem Solving Competition. It is amazing to see the children getting excited about solving equations. Pictured below are Cian and Robyn from Ms O'Neill's Junior Infants who solved January's Problem correctly. They used concrete materials to help with their workings out.… Continue Reading
- Maths: Problem Solving Winners and New Posters - Congratulations to our Problem Solving winners for December ( Tatum, Cian, Riley and Cillian) pictured above. All of these students drew out their problems using some lovely artistic representations! Maith sibh! Pictured below are our Problems for the upcoming fortnight: Please find below our Junior/Senior Infant problem, this relates to our School's Aistear theme… Continue Reading
- Christmas Newsletter! - Fresh off the press, you can now view our school newsletter here: It has been an exceptionally busy term and we are delighted to share all of the amazing teaching and learning that has happened in our school so far this year! On behalf of us all at Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh, we would like… Continue Reading
- Maths: Problem Solving Competition (December) - Pictured above are our Problem-Solving Competition winners along with their selection boxes for November (Lutheal, Euan, Amber and Yasemin). Their wonderful problem solving abilities earned them top marks. Maith sibh! Please find below our posters for December. Junior and Senior Infants Problem, this is linked with their Aistear theme of Santa's Workshop for December. 1st/2nd… Continue Reading
- Making Ice Cream😁🍦 - As part of #ScienceWeek22, Rang a Ceathair were busy making delicious ice cream from scratch! The children used scientific methods, questioning strategies and research methods to make the tasty treat! Sár obair gach duine! Continue Reading
- Science Week 2022- Scientists’ visit 👨🔬👩🔬🔬🧪 - As part of Science Week Rang 5 were delighted to have a team from Merck visit and share about some of the amazing work they do at their labs. Students, and teachers alike, were fascinated to hear all about the work Merck do, such as manufacturing cell membranes and cell and gene therapy. 🧬 They… Continue Reading
- Science Week in BSRAC - BSRAC Rang 1 students have been learning about the Sun and the planets in the Solar System during the last weeks. They did a science experiment were the Sun was essential: Sun dials. They created their own Sun dials and observed how the shadow move slowly through the day, like in the old days before… Continue Reading
- 🧬 MINI SCIENTISTS! 🧬 - Ms. O'Gorman's rang a ceathair were delighted to welcome Joshua from @intelireland headquarters to judge their Intel Mini Scientific science project submissions! 🧪 The children had a fantastic day and received a selection of goodies courtesy of Intel! 🛍️ They were also delighted to be put forward to the national final of this prestigious competition… Continue Reading