- Ms. Murphy’s Fifth Class Running - This year we (Ms. Murphy’s fifth class) do running every day. We do this because we are getting outside less because of covid and sports being cancelled. Progress We started doing around 4-5 laps of the 5th class yard but amazingly now we are doing 10-11 laps of the main yard. I personally could see… Continue Reading
- Active schools by Ryan - In Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh we have a lot of Sports and Exercise activities. Every Thursday we get no written homework and as you know that’s for active homework. Active homework is good because you can do an active hobby that you love instead. In our school we have a number of sports teams like… Continue Reading
- Basketball Tournament! - The Basketball Tournament for 6th class children took place on the 10th and the 12th February 2020. We had a couple of training sessions to get ready with Ms. Supple, Ms. Whitston and Ms. Griffin. Thanks to all the boys and girls who trained with us. Unfortunately we could only take 10 boys and 10… Continue Reading
- Active schools committee - In Bunscoil Rinn An Chabhlaigh we have a lot of Sports and Exercise activities. Every Thursday we get no written homework and as you know that’s for active homework. Active homework is good because you can do an active hobby that you love instead. In our school we have a number of sports teams like… Continue Reading
- Gymnastics in Rang IV - We did gymnastics for PE this term, Ms Healy and Ms Kelleher took 4th class down to the halla. We practised different moves, balances and ways of travelling. We then put them altogether to perform our routines. Continue Reading
- Cross Country Races - Congratulations to all our athletes who competed in the cross country races in Ballymacoda on Friday. The children did us extremely proud with their participation, behaviour and effort. A fun filled day was had by all. Thanks to the teachers involved who coached the athletes and supervised on the day. Continue Reading
- Cork City Sports - Well Done to all who participated in Cork City Sports! It is a wonderful day out for the children involved and a great achievement for each pupil to represent their school on their day. Thank you to teachers who do such wonderful job in organizing the heats for the whole school! Continue Reading
- Active Schools Week 2019 #ASW19VIDEO - #ASW19VIDEO #ASW19 https://youtu.be/70Yp0YWa5Mw Continue Reading
- Badminton Blitz - Members of Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh’s Badminton Club had the opportunity to participate in a Badminton Blitz in Neptune Stadium on Thursday 16th of May. It was a fantastic day out for all team members. We all learned a lot of new skills and techniques. We also had a great deal of fun!! Ms. Cunningham… Continue Reading
- Be Active ASAP! After School PE Initiative - Every Wednesday for 6 weeks, children in 2nd class partook in an after-school active club were they practiced fundamental movement skills in a fun environment, that had both teachers and parents involved. They practiced their running, skipping, throwing and catching etc., in different games. The children were divided into groups and after five… Continue Reading
Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh (BSRAC) is committed to becoming an Active school for the benefit of all pupils, parents, teachers and the wider community. To help us achieve this aim and to demonstrate our commitment to the importance of physical activity for all we are endeavouring to achieve an Active School Flag. The Active School Flag (ASF) is awarded to schools that strive to achieve a physically educated and physically active school community. The process aims to get more schools, more active, more often.
To achieve our aim of promoting lifelong physical activity and to be recognised as active school we are focussing on improvements in three main areas:
- Physical Education (PE): The term physical education refers to activities taught as part of the curriculum within class time where the emphasis is on learning. Each and every child is entitled to a minimum of 60 minutes Physical Education every week. To read more about Physical Education in BSRAC click here
- Physical Activity: Physical activity is an all-encompassing term which can include physical education, sport or play and any other activity undertaken for enjoyment or health. Children need 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day to keep their bodies healthy. To read more about physical activity in BSRAC and the benefits of physical activity click here.
- Partnerships: Physical activity doesn’t stop at the school door and so it is important that parents and the local community play their part in ensuring that our students remain active long after the school bell has rung! To find out more about physical activity opportunities in Cobh click here
A teacher and pupil committee have been set up to help the whole school community to work towards improvements in these areas.
To read more about each of the developments we have undertaken check out our Active School News section.
With the support of all pupils, teachers, parents and the local community we have no doubt that Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh can achieve great things and be recognised far and wide as an Active School! Mo Chumas Abú!