Green-Schools, known internationally as Eco-Schools, is an international environmental education programme, environmental management system and award scheme that promotes and acknowledges long-term, whole school action for the environment.
Unlike a once-off project, it is a long-term programme that introduces participants (students, teachers, parents and the wider community) to the concept of an environmental management system. However, Green-Schools is far more than just an environmental management system.
Green School News
- WALK TO SCHOOL WEEK 2022 - Join us in celebrating National Walk to School Week 2022 Monday 19th – 23rd September. Start the day in a healthy environmentally friendly way! Park ‘n Stride or even better leave the car at home and enjoy your walk / cycle or scoot to school. Children from 3rd to 6th can join the walking bus from Eurospar on… Continue Reading
- January’s Virtual Assembly PowerPoint - As today is February 1st, our school community gathered virtually to celebrate the wonderful work that is taking place throughout the school and beyond for the month of January. Please find attached the PDF of our Assembly PowerPoint featuring some familiar faces and a whole host of students trying their hardest to be all that… Continue Reading
- Confirmation Garden Project – Part Two - Mr. Stephenson's Class are enjoying their continued work on our Confirmation Garden. Having cleaned and painted the beds, we planted a variety of Spring-Summer bulbs such as daffodils, anemone and tulips which will flower in time for Confirmations! We also nailed in some decorative art work doors we made during our art lesson to add… Continue Reading
- Exploring Hedgerows in Sixth Class - Mr. Stephenson's Class had great fun exploring the plants, trees, shrubs and weeds that contribute to Ireland's Biodiversity. Having explored hedgerows in class, we decided to put our learning into action and paid a trip to the Convent Garden where we tapped into the knowledge of Ms. Daly who gave us a very interesting and… Continue Reading
- Confirmation Garden Project 2021 – Part 1 - As we begin the school year again, Mr. Stephenson's Sixth Class were busy preparing the flower beds in the school garden for our new 'Confirmation Garden' project! This project has been inspired by the 'Cultivating Hope - Caring for God's Creatures' initiative which reinforces Pope Francis' message in the Laudato Si encyclical letter, "Restore Our Common Home."… Continue Reading
- Environmental Awareness in Mr. Stephenson’s Rang a Sé! - Mr. Stephenson's Rang a Sé have really enjoyed learning about the importance of being advocates for the preservation of our local environment and explored just how long it takes for our rubbish to break down naturally. They found some of the results very surprising and put together a list of ways that we can reduce,… Continue Reading
- Model Boat Competition - Continue Reading
- Our Bug Hotel - In February while learning about biodiversity in Science the pupils in Mrs O'Sullivan's class in Coisceim B agreed they would like to make a safe space for minibeasts to shelter, lays their eggs and hide from predators. So, the idea of a bug hotel was born. We were so lucky to have Paula our SNA… Continue Reading
- No Power Hour - This is the Green Schools SEAI 'One Good Idea' competition entry. The Green Schools committee worked hard to create this video to remind everyone about our No Power Hour which we hold once a month. We will be showcasing this film and our Power Point at Cork Omniplex Cinema on the 24th of February, the… Continue Reading
- Life below Water! - Some members of our Green Schools committee got a chance to go to a ‘Life below water’ workshop in the Lifetime Lab, Cork City. They had a great informative and fun filled day! They learned about the importance of our oceans, the part they play in our lives and about the threats to marine… Continue Reading