Green-Schools, known internationally as Eco-Schools, is an international environmental education programme, environmental management system and award scheme that promotes and acknowledges long-term, whole school action for the environment.
Unlike a once-off project, it is a long-term programme that introduces participants (students, teachers, parents and the wider community) to the concept of an environmental management system. However, Green-Schools is far more than just an environmental management system.
Green School News
- Environmental Awareness in Mr. Stephenson’s Rang a Sé! - Mr. Stephenson's Rang a Sé have really enjoyed learning about the importance of being advocates for the preservation of our local environment and explored just how long it takes for our rubbish to break down naturally. They found some of the results very surprising and put together a list of ways that we can reduce,… Continue Reading
- Model Boat Competition - Continue Reading
- Our Bug Hotel - In February while learning about biodiversity in Science the pupils in Mrs O'Sullivan's class in Coisceim B agreed they would like to make a safe space for minibeasts to shelter, lays their eggs and hide from predators. So, the idea of a bug hotel was born. We were so lucky to have Paula our SNA… Continue Reading
- No Power Hour - This is the Green Schools SEAI 'One Good Idea' competition entry. The Green Schools committee worked hard to create this video to remind everyone about our No Power Hour which we hold once a month. We will be showcasing this film and our Power Point at Cork Omniplex Cinema on the 24th of February, the… Continue Reading
- Life below Water! - Some members of our Green Schools committee got a chance to go to a ‘Life below water’ workshop in the Lifetime Lab, Cork City. They had a great informative and fun filled day! They learned about the importance of our oceans, the part they play in our lives and about the threats to marine… Continue Reading
- Single Use Plastics - Continue Reading
- National Spring Clean - Well done to our Green Schools committee who took part in the National Spring clean. They picked up lots of rubbish from the school grounds and the roads around our school. They filled up two bags!! Continue Reading
- Seed Bombs - Our Green schools Committee planted wildflower seed bombs in the area behind the bike rack in our school. The seed bombs contain organic annual and perennial native wildflower seeds, to feed Bees, pollinators & many other wildlife species. Continue Reading
- Cobh Tidy Towns Visit 2nd Class - 2nd class were very lucky to have Ruth Ring from Cobh Tidy Towns and Orsolya Becsey from Cobh Zero Waste (a tandem group set up in Cobh to promote using less single use items and more reuse to be more sustainable) come in and tell them about all the work that they do to help… Continue Reading
- Cobh Zero Waste - Well done to our Green Schools Committee at a recent event in Cobh community centre organised by Cobh Zero Waste. Members of our committee presented a PowerPoint all about Marine Plastic Pollution. They also got to engage with and listen to the children from other Green Schools Committees in Cobh. Thanks to Cobh Zero Waste… Continue Reading